Perspex Acrylic Secondary Double Glazing
Displays UK manufacture Perspex Acrylic Secondary Double Glazing. If you are looking for a cost effective DIY secondary double glazing option, please give us a call.
The Features & Benefits of Perspex Acrylic Secondary Double Glazing
- Our acrylic secondary Double Glazing is far less expensive/cheaper than glass secondary double glazing as it is generally a simple DIY installation.
- Perspex is much lighter in weight than glass and will not shatter like glass.
- Perspex acrylic is fairly flexible, allowing you to achieve an airtight perimeter, even on a fairly uneven wooden window frame.
- Perspex secondary double glazing retains the outside appearance of your property - particularly useful if you live in a conservation area or a listed property.
- Persex secondary double glazing is 96% optically clear. As such, it is actually clearer than glass, and will allow more light into your room than conventional glass double glazing.
- Perspex secondary double glazing is guaranteed for 10 years against UV degradation. Premium acrylic does not discolour with age.
- Secondary double glazing provides for excellent thermal insulation. You no longer have to put up with the drafts from an old georgian sash, wooden, or crittal window. You dont need to feel the cold from single glazed windows in the winter. Our secondary double glazing will inexpensively help to prevent those draughts and provide a thermal barrier.
- If you live near a busy road or noisy neighbourhood, secondary double glazing provides for great sound/acoustic insulation. It wont completely stop the noise, but it will certainly help to reduce it.
- Added Security. A would be intruder will find it harder to quietly get through two panes of window rather than one.
- Helps reduce condensation
- Widely used and approved by Building Preservation Specialists
Inexpensive DIY installation - How?
- We can supply you the exact sized window panels that you need. You do not have to buy complete sheets of 8 feet x 4 feet perspex acrylic. We do that , and then cut to the sheet to the sizes that you need. You only pay for what you need, not complete sheets. No waste.
- Generally we supply 3mm clear acrylic as standard for secondary double glazing, but if budgets are tight, we can also supply a basic 2mm clear panel (This is the thickness that you can buy in some larger DIY superstores - we know, we supply some of them!). 2mm thick secondary glazing panels work just as well but aren't quite as rigid.
- No wasted time. If you've ever cut acrylic with a jigsaw, you will know that its not the easiest job in the world to do. We will cut your secondary double glazing panels to your exact size requirements, free of charge.
- 'Magnafix (r)'. Magnafix is our registered fixing system that makes fitting of acrylic secondary double glazing very very easy. Manafix is a two part tape system. One part is self adhesive white coloured steel tape. The other part is self adhesive magnetic tape. Most customers prefer to mount the white steel tape to their window frame (as it blends in with the white glossed wooden frame) and then the magnetic tape to the outer edge of the acrylic perspex panel.
- Once the magnetised perspex acrylic secondary double glazing panel is offered up to the window frame, it gently pulls to the steel tape on the window frame and remains firmly in place for the rest of the winter. When you want to spring clean the windows, simply pull the perspex acrylic from the window frame. If you choose to store your panels away form the window frame during the summer, all that remains visible of the original 'magnafix' is the white steel tape on the frame.
- So, a simple, inexpensive, DIY installation
Window Types suitable for Acrylic Secondary Double Glazing
- Stained glass church windows
- Stone windows
- Crittal Windows
- Georgian Sash Windows
- Casement Windows
- Bow Windows
- Circular/Round Windows
- Arched Windows
- Conservatory Windows
- Porch Windows
- Summer house Windows
- Sash windows with shutters.
If you require irregular shaped acrylic panels to match an arch window, bow window, gothic arch window, or very old warped lead light window, no problem. Please just send us a cardboard or paper template of the shape/sizes that you require and we will cut the perspex acrylic to size and shape for you. We may quote for a small cutting fee for this, depending on complexity.
Measuring your windows for DIY Installation of Secondary Double Glazing
- As you look at the window, measure the outer edges of the front facing frame where it joins to the window reveal. Please deduct 3-4mm to allow for thermal expansion of the acrylic and plastering tolerances.
- Please call us with your sizes. We will turn a quote around for you immediately. Our telephone number is either 0844 504 9277 or 01202 480104. Alternatively please email us email@example.com. We have over 30 years experience and as such can buy sheet plastics very competitively. We pass on our savings to you. You wont find a better price on the internet for secondary double glazing using premium materials. Please remember, our Perspex acrylic secondary double glazing is guaranteed 10 years for UV stability - its not the cheap imported material that goes cloudy in the sun!
- Once quoted and the order confirmed, we will ship you order to you via TNT Express. Your order will generally be with you within 3 days of receipt of order. We only use reputable, fully tracked, overnight couriers. We can deliver to most parts of the United Kingdom.
Magnafix - Magnetic Tape System
Fixing Instructions using Magnetic Tapes (Magnafix) and acrylic panels
Please click here to see a datasheet / fixing instruction
Different people and different tradesman have their own ways of installing acrylic secondary double glazing. The method detailed below has proven to deliver great results.
- As a final check, offer up your acrylic panels to the window frame to make sure that all fit correctly.
- Lay the acrylic secondary glazing panels on a flat surface.
- Measure the outer edges of the acrylic panels, and cut both the steel tape and magnetic tape accordingly.
- Remove the backing strip from the magnetic tape and apply to the outter edges of the acrylic panel. Do this on all four sides and press firmly into place. Please allow an hour for the adhesive to set.
- Now take your corresponding strips of white steel tape and apply the white tape, white face down (the self adhesive release tape should now be facing up) onto the magnetic tape. You will feel the magnetic force pulling the stell tape into place. Please ensure the two tapes fit exactly on top of one another.
- Carefully holding the steel tape (still on top of the magnetic tape), remove the self adhesive glue release paper. Do this to all four sides.
- Now, finally, carefully lift the acrylic secondary double glazing panel and apply it the face of the window frame. You may need help when installing larger panels at this stage.
- Press firmly into place, running your hand over all four sides of the face edge to ensure that the steel tape sticks securely to the wooden window frame.
- Once pressed firmly into place, we recommend gently removing the acrylic panel and leaving the steel tape to cure on the frame for 24 hours before reapplying the secondary double glazing panel.
- Job done and no costly labour charges!
If you prefer, we will apply both tapes to the rear of the acrylic secondary double glazing panel for you. We charge an extra 10% per panel to do this to cover our labour costs.
Please note that Magnafix (any magnetic tape system) for perspex acrylic secondary double glazing, has its limitations in panel size. If you are planning to use magnafix on its own, we recommend using 2mm acrylic up to a panel size of 1200 x 1000mm. Anything bigger than this and there are two choices, either the use of screws in a addition to the magnafix to support the weight of the panel or, the use of our EXTRAFIX fixing system (suitable for 3mm and 4mm thick acrylic panels)
Extrafix Fixing For Larger Windows
Larger Windows? No Problem! Choose our 'Extrafix' (r) Fixing Method
If you windows are bigger than our recommendations for the use of our magnetic fixing method, consider the use of our 'EXTRAFIX' perspex secondary double glazing fixing method. Extrafix is a professional, two part plastic extrusion that allows you to firmly secure much larger pieces of perspex acrylic to your external doors and windows. It provides a truly professional look but at DIY prices. We provide a comprehensive datasheet for its DIY installation.
Please click here to see an Extrafix Datasheet/Fixing Instructions
For see images of Extrafix fixing method, please click here.
Acrylic Secondary Double Glazing - Aftercare
Your perspex acrylic secondary double glazing will give many years of trouble free use: There are no moving parts to wear out. To spring clean your panels, simply wipe with warm soapy water on a soft cloth. Please dry thoroughly before refitting to the steel tape on your window frame. Should your panels need the occasional polish, use our premium VUPLEX POLISH anti static polish. Vuplex puts an added protective high gloss layer to the acrylic. Please click here for further details
Anti Vandal Secondary Double Glazing - Church Windows.
Sadly, sometimes we have to recommend fixing a special security double glazing to buildings; particularly Churches, government offices, historic buildings & monuments etc. We supply a high grade polycarbonate to do this. Polycarbonate is fitted to the outside of the building to cover those precious stained glass windows that can never be replaced if damaged by vandalism. Polycarbonate will bend if hit very hard but will not break. It is the same polycarbonate that is used in police riot sheilds, bus shelters etc. Please contact us for further details.
Bus Shelter, Smoking Shelter & Supermarket Trolley Shelter Glazing, Car Screens etc.
Perpsex acrylic and Polycarbonate can be used for a multitude of glazing applications. We have supplied acrylic and polycarbonate glazing for shed windows, telephone box glazing, vintage car sun visors, sports car rear windscreens, bus shelters, smoking shelters, car screens and porch canopies.
Thank you for visiting our website. Please call or email us if you need any further information.
"My sash windows were beastly in the winter months. They look beautiful but are not practical in these days of high heating bills. My curtains would billow in a strong westerly wind. Not any more. Thank you for a low cost, yet courteous service" Francesca S. London
"James, a quick note to say, brilliant! Why did I suffer the cold for so long!" Edna J. Gloucester
" Excellent service" James T. Bath
"So easy to fix. Thanks again". Tim M. Scotland
"A fast, efficient service". Brenda R. Northumberland
"Thanks for the fast turnaround Tiff. The temperature change on our cottage was noticeable immediately" Richard W. Devon
"Living next to the A2, our lives were plagued by the noise of the traffic. The new panels certainly help to reduce that noise" Kenneth A. London
"Hello, I recently purchased your 3mm perspex kit to double glaze the glass panel in my back door. It is excellent - I now no longer have condensation when I cook. Great stuff, thanks, yours, Michele." Michele , Norwich